Scrum Master Role and Objectives
- Work with the Agile software development process, utilized by the largest and most well-known software companies like Amazon, Spotify, Google and Microsoft
- Assist with facilitation of meetings for the various development teams. This includes:
- Post-processing, action items and follow-up
- Assist as a communication point, reporting up to the Senior Scrum Master / Senior Engineers any impediments or outstanding issues, as noted by the development teams
- Assist with gathering user feedback and user experience initiatives, including analysis of feedback and recommendations for next steps
- Conduct research and prepare formal reports on various processes, tools, market trends, etc. on an as-needed basis
- Perform routine clerical and administrative functions as needed
The Scrum Master will assist with the implementation of Agile software development principles by the Senior Scrum Master and leadership team. He or she will assist with day-to-day activities that facilitate the Agile process, including any coordination of meetings and related activities. Scrum Master will act as another point of communication across teams, able to report to the leadership team any roadblocks or issues that arise that requires additional assistance. He or she will take on research tasks or feedback-gathering initiatives as assigned. Intern must have strong organization skills, with the aptitude to learn new tools that expedite our internal agile processes. Scrum Master will assist the Senior Scrum Master directly with any team needs in order to ensure cross-team coordination and continual improvement of processes.
General responsibilities include:
- Guiding the team and organization on how to use Agile/Scrum/Kanban practices and values to delight customers.
- Guiding the team on how to get the most out of self-organization.
- Guiding the team on self-organizing to fill in the intentional gaps left in the Agile/Scrum/Kanban frameworks.
- Assessing the Agile maturity of the team and organization and coaching the team to higher levels of maturity, at a pace that is sustainable and comfortable for the team and organization. Removing impediments or guiding the team to remove impediments by finding the right personnel to remove the impediment.
- Building a trusting and safe environment where problems can be raised without fear of blame, retribution, or being judged, with an emphasis on healing and problem-solving.
- Facilitating getting the work done without coercion, assigning, or dictating the work.
- Facilitating discussion, decision-making, and conflict resolution.
- Assisting with internal and external communication, improving transparency, and radiating information.
- Supporting and educating the Product Owner team, especially on grooming and maintaining the product backlog.
- Providing all support to the team using a servant leadership style whenever possible, and leading by example.
- Degree in related fields, including but not limited to Business Administration, Communication Studies, or Computer Science.
- Good skills and knowledge of servant leadership, facilitation, situational awareness, conflict resolution, continual improvement, empowerment, and increasing transparency.
- Willingness to learn on-the-fly and quickly adapt to situations, including handling tasks in a self-learning/self-organizing manner.
- Excellent communication and coaching skills.
Preferred Skills/Experience (any of these is a plus):
- Experience in playing the Scrum Master role for at least one year for a software development team that was diligently applying Agile principles, practices, and theory.
- Awareness and experience with widely successful Agile techniques: User Stories, TDD, Continuous Integration, Continuous Testing, Pairing, Automated Testing, etc.
- Applicable knowledge of the technologies used by the team.
- Experience in applying a wide variety of well-documented patterns and techniques for filling in the intentional gaps left in the Agile approach (example: many retrospective formats, handling bugs, etc.)
- Experience with Atlassian suite of tools including Jira, Jira Service Desk and Confluence.